IBS 4 James 3:13-17


Jas 3:13  Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Jas 3:14  But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.

Jas 3:15  This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.

Jas 3:16  For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.

Jas 3:17  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

 

 

        I love how in verse one it says "By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom." When I think of someone with great wisdom I think of someone who always knows exactly what to say at the right moments. And yes this is an example of wisdom but it should not be what I first think of when I hear the word wisdom. I should think of someone with good conduct. Know what to DO at the right moments rather than what to say. I can get passionate about a topic in my life and I always find a way to incorporate whatever im passionate about in my conversations. Bringing it up multiple times even. I think this is how James was at this time. Just in the last chapter he was talking about faith.

 

Jas 2:17  So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

 

Jas 2:18  But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

 

                But when he was writing there were no chapter breaks so this is one continuous thought. He's getting at the point of DOING things. Not that we can ever save ourselves with our works, but if we just talk and talk but have no works we are hypocrites. Talk is cheap. It's easy. Putting our words into action is hard but it is exactly what we are called to do. When we pray for wisdom we should expect God to start calling us to work because that’s what true meek wisdom is. A heart that follows after God not only in words but also action

 

------          APPLICATION          ------

 

                For my application I'm going to do random poop works anonymously

Comments

Popular posts from this blog