1 Timothy 6:6-8


1Ti 6:6  But godliness with contentment is great gain.

1Ti 6:7  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

1Ti 6:8  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

 KJV

 

      What's interesting to me is the godliness isn't the contentment. We can be "godly" but that does not mean being content. I acted godly before I started following Christ. Putting on a mask at church and at home but the whole time I HATED God. Hated him a lot, but knew that if I straight said that I would get in a boat load of trouble and it would be really awkward at church… As followers of Christ we are called to be like God, which is godliness. But the text doesn't say that being godly is contentment, it says godliness AND contentment is great gain. What is contentment then? It's what David describes in psalms 23. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." That’s contentment. When we realize that God is our shepherd, we then realize that there is nothing more to have. We could not be better taken care of than God taking care of us. We can breath freely knowing the weight of sin and death has been lifted off of our shoulders. We can know that when we go through and trial in our life we can give glory to God because we can know He is in control of everything. That’s contentment.

 

----------          APPLICATION         ----------

 

 

      For my application I will share with someone how I used to try to be godly as a heathen but was not in any way content. Share the work that God did in my life as encouragement to someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog